Dana White scoffs at Khabib Nurmagomedov’s manager expecting $50 million for next fight

NEW YORK – With the Nevada State Athletic Commission still deliberating on the chaotic events that transpired at UFC 229, there aren’t many updates that UFC President Dana White can provide when it comes to the lightweight title picture.

Here’s one thing White can say, though: That $50 million dollar price tag that Khabib Nurmagomedov’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, has for the champ’s next fight?

“Sure,” White answered sarcastically, asked by MMAjunkie whether the figure was realistic.

What would be realistic, then?

“They know what’s realistic for them,” White said. “They know the answer to that question. It’s fun to say, though.”

White talked to reporters during a UFC 230 post-fight press conference on Saturday at Madison Square Garden. There is a reason why Nurmagomedov’s team cited that specific number; $50 million happens to be what former two-division champion Conor McGregor estimated he’d end up making for his UFC 229 bout with Nurmagomedov – pay-per-view numbers included. Nurmagomedov (27-0 MMA, 11-0 UFC) went on to submit McGregor in the fourth round to defend the 155-pound title.

“The other guy we just fought, he said he made $50 million,” Abdelaziz told TMZ Sports at the time. “I think as a global superstar, Khabib bypassed him.”

There is little question that a rematch with McGregor has the potential to generate some hefty numbers, but it’s unclear if that’s the fight that will ultimately be made. Former interim champion Tony Ferguson, who’s had multiple attempts at fights with Nurmagomedov fall through, is in the mix – not to mention possibilities outside of the 155-pound division.

Right after the UFC 229 fight – well, fights, if you consider the melee that broke out shortly after the headliner – McGregor had expressed his desire for a rematch, but he’d later say that he would be willing to fight someone else. According to White, who’s recently spoke to him, that’s still where the former champion stands.

“Conor and I talked for an hour last week,” White said. “And typical Conor. ‘I would love an immediate rematch. I want to fight him again. But I’ll fight whoever I’ve got to fight to get back to him if that’s not the case.”

Before any steps are made, though, White stressed that they’re still on the NSAC’s time – meaning, they need to await as the commission finishes its investigation of the events that transpired after the conclusion of UFC 229’s main event.

A resolution is expected in December, when possible suspension and financial sanctions will be decided for the fighters and other people involved in the melee. For now both Nurmagomedov and McGregor are under temporary suspension.

To hear White’s full chat with reporters covering a wide range of topics, check out the video above.

And for more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

View full post on MMAjunkie

, , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

© 1992-2018 DC2NET™, Inc. All Rights Reserved